Thursday, June 10, 2010

A letter to my mother

Dear Mum,

Thank you for being my number one cheerleader and mentor. When I look back I could not have gotten to where I am without you. I was just thinking as I got my first masters results that I would not
be here without you, without your belief in me.

When I got my high school results I knew there was no way with those grades I would be able to go to university. But you believed it, even when I didn't. And you encouraged me and told me that I could go and make it and eventually after a couple of years after high school I did.

You sacrificed for me, making sure my fees were paid. You encouraged me and told me that if others could make it so could I. And I did. Your belief in me made me want to be the best I could be and I worked hard to live up to that belief.

Getting that degree meant alot to me. Not because I could get a job with it or because I was now a university graduate. But because it represented what someone can do if someone else believes in
them and their potential.

When I think of how far I have come and my achievements I am so grateful to you. For having big dreams for me, believing in them and investing in them. I would never have gotten this far without your belief in me and my potential. When I look at where I am and the things I have achieved its because someone believed in me, my mother believed in me. I am so thankful to you for your belief in my potential. I am a seed that has grown into a tree.

Your words and actions have nurtured me and made me into the person I am today. My prayer is that when I have kids I will believe in them, their talents and potential the way you have me.

Thank you for being my cheerleader, my mentor and my biggest fan.

Regards. Your daughter Wangari.

No comments:

Post a Comment